Can I apply for a child grant if my partner isn't South African? – News24


Saturday, 10 December
19 Jul 2021
The following question is part of Groundup’s Answers to your questions series and comes from a reader who needs information about the rules regarding child grants.

The short answer

You can apply for the child support grant if your partner is a refugee or permanent resident.
Also read: Can an abandoned child get a birth certificate?
The long answer

If you are a South African citizen, or a refugee or a permanent resident, you can apply to SASSA for a child support grant. It is a means-tested grant, so SASSA will take into account both your own and your husband’s income. These are the SASSA rules:
How to apply for the Child Support Grant:

You must complete a form at the SASSA office in the presence of a SASSA officer,

You will then be given a receipt once the application is complete. This receipt must be kept safe as it is your only proof of registration,

Provide the birth certificate of the child,

Provide identification documents of the caregiver,

Once your grant is approved you will be paid from the date on which you applied,

You will be issued with a SASSA payment card and this card is used to access the money; however, you may request to receive the payments using alternative methods. Such as at banks including Postbank or other institutions.

When you come in to apply, you need to bring the following documents:

Your South African identity document (ID), which must be bar-coded,

The child’s birth certificate, which must have an ID number, 

Your salary slip, bank statements for 3 months, or pension slips, and any other proof of income,

If you’re unemployed, your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) card – “blue book” – or a discharge certificate from your previous employer,

Information that shows that you’re the child’s primary caregiver.

If your application is refused, you can appeal.

Usually, you can apply for the child support grant on a Wednesday and Thursday at the SASSA offices, but under the new lockdown conditions this may have changed, and you should contact SASSA to find out, on their toll-free number on 0800 601 011 or 013 754 9428 / 54 from 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

The fact that your husband is a foreigner should not affect your application for a child support grant, as long as your joint income is not more than R8,000 a month.

If you need more advice about how your husband’s situation may affect your application for a child support grant, you could contact the Scalabrini Organisation at: or WhatsApp 078 260 3536.

Wishing you the best,

This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Read the original on GroundUp here.

Share your stories and questions with us via email at Anonymous contributions are welcome.
Don’t miss a story!
For a weekly wrap of our latest parenting news and advice sign up to our free Friday Parent24 newsletter.
Follow us, and chat, on Facebook and Twitter.
29 Jul
State of the Nation – Weekly
Delivered to your inbox every Thursday, subscribers will receive Du Toit’s newsletter-exclusive take on the state of South Africa.
09 Dec
25 Jun 2021
25 Nov
18 Nov
11 Nov
16 Sep 2021
23 Sep
06 Dec
06 Dec
30 Nov
Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.
08 Dec
07 Dec
01 Dec
07 Dec


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *