How to apply for a Sassa old age grant – Randburg Sun


The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) supplies grants to people in need, for a variety of reasons.
Many do not know about the grants that are available to them until they fall on hard times and there are no alternatives.
But the following grants are available: Care dependency, child support, disability, foster child, grant-in-aid, old age, social relief of distress, war veterans, and Covid-19 social relief of distress.
Randburg Sun was recently contacted by elderly residents who did not know how to apply for an old age grant.
This is one of the most common grants and the beneficiary is required to be of at least 60 years of age.
They must also be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee, and must not be a recipient of another social grant.
The applicant must not be maintained or cared for in a state institution.
When they make their application they must submit a 13-digit bar coded identity document. They will also have to comply with a means test.
When applying for this grant at a Sassa office (28 Harrison Street, Joburg; 90 Loveday Street, Joburg and 40 Hoofdt Street, Roodepoort are three of the closest offices to Randburg), you will need the following:
If you are too old/ or sick to travel to the office to apply for a grant, then a family member or friend can apply on your behalf, Your application form will be completed in the presence of an officer from Sassa.
The officer must assist you to complete an application if you are unable to do so alone.
When your application is completed you will be given a dated, stamped receipt bearing the name of the Sassa official who assisted you. Keep this receipt – it is your only proof of application.
You do not have to pay any money to apply.
If your application is approved, you will be advised in writing.
If your application is rejected by Sassa, you will be informed in writing. The letter informing you of the outcome will include reasons why your application was not successful.
You have the right to request Sassa to reconsider its decision if you are unhappy with the decision made. The request for Sassa to reconsider its decision must be informed by the outcome of your application. If the reconsidered decision is still unfavourable, you have the right to appeal to the Minister of Social Development in writing.
If your grant is approved you will be paid from the date on which you applied.
This will either be through cash at designated pay points or your bank, including post-bank institutions.
If you are unable to personally collect the grant for yourself you may appoint someone to collect it on your behalf.

We use cookies to help improve your experience and to show you relevant advertising. To learn more about cookies, please read our Privacy Policy.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *