Protecting Consumers | State of California – Department of Justice … – California Department of Justice


This Google™ translation feature is provided for informational purposes only.
The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool.
Please consult with a translator for accuracy if you are relying on the translation or are using this site for official business.
If you have any questions please contact: Bilingual Services Program at (916) 210-7580
A copy of this disclaimer can also be found on our Disclaimer page.
Information on scams, how to protect yourself, and how to report complaints
Help protect yourself and your loved ones from fraud. Check out our tips and topics to learn about common scams and other consumer issues.
If you would like to report a complaint about a business, check the complaint referral table to find the government agency that regulates that business. You can report your complaint directly to that regulating agency.
Complaint Referral Table
If your complaint is not against a business that is regulated by another agency, then you may file a complaint with the Attorney General’s Office using the Complaint Against Business form below. Complaints are used by the Attorney General’s Office to learn about misconduct and to determine whether to investigate a company. However, the Attorney General’s Office cannot provide legal advice or assistance to individuals.
Complaint Against Business
If you think a business has committed fraud or a crime, please tell your local district attorney’s office or your City Attorney.
If you need legal advice or representation, we suggest that you consult with an attorney. The Attorney General cannot provide you with legal advice or represent you in personal legal actions.
You may obtain a referral to a certified lawyer referral service by contacting the State Bar at (866) 442-2529 (toll-free in California) or (415) 538-2250 (from outside California), or via the State Bar of California website.
If you cannot afford an attorney, you may wish to contact your local legal aid office. For a referral, please visit and click on the Find Legal Help tab.
Members of the armed forces and their dependents can also obtain legal assistance from their local JAG legal assistance office,
Information about credit cards, loans, debt and debt collection, bank accounts, and other financial issues
Information about landlord/tenant disputes, mortgages, auto dealers, and other common housing and car issues
Information about junk mail, sales offer scams, refunds, disputing charges, and other shopping-related issues
Information about contractors, immigration consultants, and other people you may hire, and about checking a company’s background
Information for immigrants, seniors, servicemembers, veterans, and students
Information about financial scams, magazine scams, tax fraud scams, and other common scams
Contact the Attorney General’s Public Inquiry Unit to report a complaint about a business or if you have questions or comments.
Automobile Emissions Research and Technology Fund
Youth Beverage Consumer Education and Research Fund
Sears Fund for Consumer Protection and Education
View All Alerts
Volkswagen Diesel Emissions “Defeat Devices”
Mortgage Settlements
View More Actions
Tips for protecting your privacy
Important consumer laws
Search California laws
Search U.S. laws
More FAQs


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *