Beneficiaries of the special relief grants who were previously approved in the first cycle but never collected their money are urged to go to the post office today (August 31) to collect their R350 grants.
According to Sassa, about 59 408 applicants in Gauteng have not collected their money.
Sassa spokesperson Nandi Mosia said Sassa will have to return this money from the previous cycle to National Treasury to fund other government priorities, if not by today.
“An unprecedented number of clients have not collected their SRD grants and this is putting brakes on the successful roll-out of the current application and payment cycle.
“The current applications received in the extended cycle exceed 10 million, yet Sassa is spending time and resources to put mechanisms in place to ensure uncollected previous cycle grants are collected.”
Mosia said appeals by Minister of Social Development Lindiwe Zulu to clients who never collected, have seen the numbers drop from over 571 000 to about 279 000 uncollected grants.
Although still high, Sassa would like to thank those that went to collect their money.
The list of beneficiaries of uncollected SRD grants is uploaded on the Sassa website on www.sassa.gov.za and beneficiaries are advised to visit the website to check before August 31.
If their names appear on the list, they are requested to report to the post office to collect the funds without further delay.
Also Read: Sassa cash payments suspended until further notice
Also Read: Sassa announces adjusted service delivery schedule